Acetaldehyde assay kit
- For acetaldehyde determination in biological and food/beverage samples
- Sensitive.: linear detection range 4 µM to 4 mM
- Room temperature assay. No 37°C heater is needed
- Convenient “mix-incubate-measure” type assay
- High-throughput: suitable for HTS liquid handling systems
Acetaldehyde (CH3CHO) is one of the most widely occurring aldehydes in nature and is commonly used in industry. It is a metabolic byproduct of ethanol in the liver, is toxic to the human body and is rapidly converted to the less harmful acetic acid by the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase.
The colorimetric acetaldehyde assay kit is based on the aldehyde dehydrogenase catalyzed oxidation of acetaldehyde, in which the formed NADH reduces a formazan reagent. The intensity of the product color, measured at 565 nm, is directly proportional to the acetaldehyde concentration in the sample.