HL-1 FBS Substitute
- Replacement for serum
- No more batch testing
- No risk of pathogens or other contaminants
- Low protein level: <30µg/ml
- Supports growth of variety of cell lines
HL-1 FBS Substitute is a medium additive that can be used to (partially) replace serum in a variety of basal media. It contains less than 30 μg protein/ml when diluted 1:100 in medium and it does not contain bovine serum albumin or other undefined protein components.
Growth support of numerous cell lines
HL-1 serum replacement, when added to most basal media, will support the growth of mouse hybridoma cells and other differentiated cells of lymphoid origin (e.g. U937, MCF-7, SW780 and many more).
Adaptation of serum-dependent cells to medium with HL-1
Weaning cell lines from serum-containing media may be recommended. The following protocol will aid adaptation to a serum-free environment in media containing HL-1™ Supplement by gradual reduction of the serum concentration:
- Week 1 – Reduce the serum concentration to 5% FBS.
- Week 2 – Reduce the serum concentration to 2% FBS and add HL-1™ Supplement at 1%.
- Week 3 – Reduce the serum concentration to 1% FBS with HL-1™ Supplement at 1%.
- Week 4 – Reduce the serum concentration to 0.5% FBS with HL-1™ Supplement at 1%.
- Week 5 – Reduce the serum concentration to 0.25% FBS with HL-1™ Supplement at 1%.
- Week 6 – Eliminate FBS and culture cells in serum-free HL-1™ Supplement-containing medium.
NOTE: At each step in the weaning process, cells will show an initial lag in growth rate. Passage the cells three times per week during the weaning period, seeding at a density of 1-2 x 105 cells/ml. Keep cell density below 8-10 x 105 cells/ml. After reduction to 0.5% serum, a greater growth lag may be observed. Under these conditions, a higher seeding density and less frequent passaging may be required until cells resume their normal growth characteristics.