ProFreeze-CDM Serum-free Cell Freezing Medium
- Freeze cells reliably without serum
- Chemically defined, protein-free, non animal origin (NAO)
- High cell viability after thawing
- 2X concentrated: simply mix 1:1 with cells in culture medium
- Suitable for all cell types
- 2-4x lower cost per vial of frozen cells
ProFreeze is an FBS-free, potein-free freezing medium that contains no animal derived components, insulin or hydrolysate. This chemically defined medium (CDM) is suitable for cryopreserving all cell types in the absence of serum and maintains high cell viability upon recovery from frozen storage.
1 bottle equals 235 ml 1X freezing medium
Complete 2X freeze medium is prepared by supplementing ProFreeze™-CDM™ Medium with 15% reagent or spectrophotometric grade DMSO. For example, 1.5 ml DMSO + 8.5 ml ProFreeze™-CDM™ Medium will make 10 ml of 2X complete cell freeze medium. This means that one bottle of ProFreeze is equivalent to 235 ml of 1X freezing medium!
Serum-free cryopreservation protocol
- Harvest log phase cells (viability ≥ 90%) by centrifugation at 100 to 200 x g for 10 minutes.
- Resuspend the cell pellet in 4°C culture medium at 5.0 to 20.0 x 106 cells/ml. Keep chilled.
- Slowly mix equal volumes of chilled complete ProFreeze™-CDM™ Medium and chilled cell suspensions by adding the ProFreeze™-CDM™ Medium to the cell suspension. The resulting final DMSO concentration is 7.5% and the final cell concentration is 2.5 to 10.0 x 106 cells/ml.
- Dispense into 1 ml cryovials and freeze according to your customary protocol.
- Move frozen cells into a vapor phase liquid nitrogen freezer for long-term storage. The warmer storage temperatures of -60°C to -80°C are inadequate.
Want to try?
Contact us if you would like to try ProFreeze.